Kemble Pianos was founded in 1911 by Michael Kemble in Stoke Newington, North London – the centre of the UK’s piano manufacturing activity at that time.
Michael Kemble’s son, Robert, took over the business in the 1950s and moved the company to a state-of-the-art factory in Bletchley, near today’s new city of Milton Keynes. Sales were growing rapidly and the company needed to expand production.
1968 saw the Kemble family enter into a joint venture with The Yamaha Corporation of Japan and, over the next few years, the joint partners established Yamaha-Kemble Music (UK) Ltd.
In 1985 Kemble and Co. started making a range of acoustic pianos for Yamaha, to be sold in the UK market and, two years later, Yamaha chose Kemble to become its European manufacturing partner.