Johann Christian Gottlieb Irmler founded his company in 1818 in the musical city of Leipzig. Soon after few years his instruments gained great popularity. The old factory required expansion. A nearby area was purchased and new factory including a steam power station was built during the next 5 years. This major investment underlined the growing demand of his instruments in these early years.
In 1842 Johann Christian Gottlieb Irmler invented a new action for grand pianos, which allowed faster repetition and better control compared to the constructions used in these days. In the same year he was honoured by the King of Saxony with the Great Golden Saxony Royal State Medal for his achievements. The highest award of the state of Saxony.
The excellent grand pianos gained a wide reputation, which helped to make his instruments very popular outside of the German Empire. Numerous instruments were exported, mainly to the thriving Russian empire and the Scandinavian kingdoms.