It was founded in 1883 in Boston, Massachusetts by the John J. Church Company, which was at the time, one of the leading companies of the industry. In June 1926, Everett merged with Cable-Nelson Piano, moving from Boston to South Haven, Michigan.
Many composers used Everett’s pianos, but the demand for small pianos grew. In response, Everett made only small pianos in 1946, leaving the manufacturing of grand pianos.
In 1936, Everett subsequently joined the Meridan Corporation, where George Stapley, a graduate engineer, innovated Everett’s old pianos. One of those innovations was the Balanced Tension Back. It allowed the sound quality to stay sharp in different conditions.