Estonia reports that it was founded in 1893 by Ernst Hiis. Early in the Soviet era it is reported that Joseph Stalin favored Estonia pianos (after having received one as a gift) and designated the company as the sole manufacturer of grand pianos in the Soviet Union. From 1950 to 1990 the company was state-owned and made two grand piano models (190 cm and 273 cm) for distribution throughout the Soviet Union.
The company languished after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, and in 1993 the factory was privatized to its managers. After the factory’s decline in the early 1990s with the collapse of the Soviet Union, the firm was revived by Indrek Laul, who invested in the company and introduced its products to the United States. In 1995 it was sold to Indrek Laul (at that time a doctoral piano student at the Juilliard School in New York), who took over control of the company.