C. Bechstein piano factory was founded on 1 October 1853 by Carl Bechstein in Berlin, Germany.
Carl Bechstein set out to manufacture a piano able to withstand the great demands imposed on the instrument by the virtuosi of the time, such as Franz Liszt. In 1857, Hans von Bulow (Liszt’s son-in-law) gave the first public performance on a Bechstein grand piano by performing Liszt’s Piano Sonata in B minor in Berlin.
By 1870, with endorsements from Franz Liszt and Hans von Bulow, Bechstein pianos had become a staple in many concert halls and private mansions. By that time three piano makers, all of which were founded in 1853, became established as the industry leaders across the world: Bechstein, Bluthner and Steinway & Sons.