ABOUT AUGUST FORSTER
On April 1, 1859, August Forster opened a small piano workshop in Lobau, Germany, expanding to a factory on Lobau’s Jahn Street in 1862. Still in use today, this facility has been enlarged and modernized by the Forster family and remains the exclusive site for the manufacture of the original August Forster piano.
In 1897, Caesar Forster succeeded his father August as manager of the company and opened a second factory in Georgswalde (Jirikov), Bohemia (later Czechoslovakia and the Czech Republic) in 1900.
In 1937 the company manufactured one of the first electric pianos, the “Vierling-Forster” piano, developed by Oskar Vierling at the Heinrich Institute for Oscillation Research at the Technical University of Berlin using electromagnetic pickups.